Cockroach Control Tips for Maryland Homeowners
With summer at its peak, many insects and pests are seeking shelter from the sun in our cool homes. One of the most prominent pest here in Maryland is the cockroach. There are four different species that are home to Maryland: the American cockroach, the Oriental cockroach, the German cockroach, and the Brown-banded cockroach. Make sure to keep all creepy critters out of your home by following Ohio State University's check list of to do's for cockroach control.
Inside of the home:
- Install new door sweeps (sweeps do not last indefinitely!) on all exterior doors, including the garage.
- Screen your windows if you intend to open them.
- Screen the attic vents: Birds, small mammals squirrels, mice, house rats, snakes and all insects can enter here.
- Seal all openings and cracks that allow entrance to the house. If the hole is large, you can purchase the sealant in large blocks and push into the hole.
Potential outdoor harborages:
- Move all firewood away from the house.
- Keep trash cans away from house and never leave the lid off.
- Keep all mulch to a depth of 2 to 3 inches.
- Keep weeds away from the house.
- Do not allow branches or bushes to be close to the house.
- Keep proper ventilation around the perimeter of the house.
- Do not allow water to lie in the crawl space (standing water can cause numerous problems).
- Keep the rain gutters clean and have an adequate fall to the down spout. Make sure that all roof water drains away from the house.
- Properly store all foods and do not leave any bags open.
- Clean all bathrooms on a regular basis.
- Clean all kitchen surfaces, sinks, and stove top daily.
- Empty garbage at least every other day.
- Promptly repair all water leaks.
With the busy lifestyle of a family, it may not always be possible to check off all of these to-dos. Most lack the expertise and just do not have time to perform every task to bug proof the home. If you have small children, you also have the added concern of making the home child proof. If your children are a bit older, and a bit messy, then there are a whole new brand of problems to take time to conquer.
Don't let these pests ruin your summer. We want you to get back to enjoying the perfect Marlyand summer and spending time on the water, such as sailing on the Chesapeake Bay with family and friends. Daily cleaning can be a hassle to keep up with, and making the home more bug proof can be an even bigger obstacle. Let B.O.G. Pest Control take care of your pesky pest problem for you and give us a call at (410) 867-1002!